Well people its that fabulous time of year again... Thanksgiving and holiday retail shopping. I feel that I must take to my soap box and give you all a little perspective. I am sorry I have to put it that way but after swinging into a store yesterday to get a candy bar for my hubby and seeing a very ignorant person yell at the cashier because the customer simply didn't read the ad and would not listen to the poor girl doing her best to explain the ad gets my blood boiling because if you know me I try to protect the cashiers at my job as much as I can. So here are a few simple things you can do to not make yourself look like a ass this holiday season...
- DO NOT WAIT TILL LAST MINUTE.... this point I can not express more. I had this happen last year at my job, A gentleman wanted to get his wife a pair of fashion boots but they were a little pricey. However price or not they were selling quite fast. He came in every week and looked at them. I suggested that if he was sure he wanted them but was unsure of the price to put them on layaway because I could not guarantee the boots would be here when he was ready to purchase. When he came in three days before Christmas to buy the boots we were sold out in her size as well as every store for 50 miles around. Lets just say he was not happy, accused me of a bunch of crap, called me terrible names. However this year he brought his wife in already and then came back the next day and bought all the boots she liked so lesson learned on his part.
- WORK A LITTLE WITH YOUR SALES ASSOCIATE WE WILL TRY TO MOVE MOUNTAINS.... This part is double true at my store we had a wonderful woman who wanted to get her twin teens matching dresses and shoes. We had the shoes but not the dresses. However we could get the dresses but they wouldn't be in till December 26. So we went above and beyond for her and took a potentially bad situation and made it okay. She brought the shoes for the girls and ordered the dresses. We went the extra mile and printed pictures of the dresses and sold her the fancy gift boxes to put the pictures in and a even made the bows and ribbons so all she had to do was wrap the shoes. Turned a potentially bad situation into a great one and she has been back ever since shopping almost every week.
- DON'T BE AFRAID TO ASK FOR HELP.... We are trained, we can and will help you with whatever resources we have at our disposal. Your hubby wants that Star Wars t shirt in extra large. We don't have it however we can order it from the next sears and you can pick it up at their online pickup area. Or your not sure of your girlfriends size. Show us a picture or point out someone who has the same body shape. Need a TV, tool, ect. we can help but only is you ask. We have so many people who we will ask do you need help say no or out right ignore us then get loud saying You don't have it, when if they would have asked we did.
- ACTUALLY READ THE AD.... words like in select stores, limited quantities, during specific times are actually in there. Club members pricing as well. We do have to adhere to the ad for the most part, help us help you.
- PRICE MATCHING DOES NOT EXISTS ON BLACK FRIDAY WEEKEND... that's right people if you go to most retail stores who price match it does say that black Friday weekend there is no price matching. That goes for sure at most retailers.
- IF YOU HAVE A COUPON.... I love coupons however please be sure to read the exclusions. Clearance, hot buys and special deals in most stores are excluded as well. Again on black Friday weekend a lot of coupons are excluded.
- OH STORES LIKE YOURS ARE THE REASON YOU POOR PEOPLE HAVE TO WORK THANKSGIVING.... Last year I heard that so many times I seriously had to laugh. People who say that make me laugh because they are saying it on Thanksgiving night with a over flowing shopping cart. When you work retail or are hired on for retail you are told full out that you are working the whole weekend. That includes Thanksgiving night. We know what we signed on for. But you saying it as your shopping is irony.
- YOUR WORKERS HAVE BEEN ON THEIR FEET FOR 10-12 HOURS.... Yes management, full timers and our amazing workers have been moving their bums for 10-12 hour rotations on black Friday weekend. We do a ton of behind the scenes stuff to make your shopping experience fun and satisfying. We go through a wickedly insane amount of coffee, energy drinks, Sugar. and snacks. My self personally had I think at one point last year a 2 liter of Pepsi, coffee, candy bars, energy drinks, apples with nutella, and cheddar popcorn on my desk.
- USE YOUR MANNERS... Don't be a dick on the day your supposed to be thankful for what you have. Use your manners people we are human to and want to do our job, have to ask the questions we do and can only be so fast. We would much rather be home with our families then working.
So I hope this little help list will actually help you not be such a bad shopper this holiday season. I work with the most amazing group of people and a lot of them are like a second family to me, we all want to help you but only if you give us a chance. Have a great shopping experience this holiday season and please be safe out there.