Wednesday, October 14, 2015

Retail and faking that smile... sometimes!

Well I will be the first to say that working retail can be a huge adventure.  By huge I mean.... OK here is a good way to put it have you ever read a comic book where the characters thoughts are captured in the bubble cloud but only so you can see them.  Well if I ever get fired from my job I cam almost guarantee with 95% certainty that my bubble cloud got broke and those thoughts and words came right out of my mouth.  The other 5% was my numbers were not the best or some other corporate related reason....

So I hear the question now so Angie why a work post?  Well funny you might have mentioned that.  At work tonight while I was cleaning my department I had some lady destroy the department and then snap her fingers at me like I was a dog.  Snapping.....Well I was so busy cleaning up that I did not hear her snapping.  Then after a few minutes of snapping she came over to me and said, "can't you hear me?"  To which i replied with my biggest smile "Oh I am so sorry I didn't hear you say anything!"  Listen we retail folk are human and if you want to snap at us like we are dogs I promise you that we will pretend we didn't hear you plain and simple.

So let me give you all a crash course in what really is going to happen when you say certain statements.


  • Yes we work here!
  • No we don't care that its cheaper at Walmart.
  • Oh sorry the item you wanted at the really awesome price that is listed as while supplies last really meant while supplies last!
  • What we are losing a customer because you are trying to either return stolen merchandise, return something that is well outside the return policy, something you broke and want a new one, or my personal favorite you just want to act like a self entitled snob who thinks the world belongs to them
  • You want a manager.... I am the manager on duty but sure let me get another manager who will tell you the same exact thing.
  • You want corporate phone number OK!!! this is my personal favorite you call them and i don't have to deal with you.
  • Oh yes we are going to give you such extreme customer service if we believe your stealing and no you can't get us into trouble because guess what we are protecting the store.
  • Oh I am so sorry that ad ended yesterday... read the dates people.  To be serious for a second though we have been known to help out a customer if  the sale ended to be nice but don't come in with a attitude because you forgot about the sale because then you will get a reply of  " Oh I am so sorry but we have to adhere to the ad."
  • If you are being rude and awesome I can guarantee you that the whole store knows who you are and will take the longest time finding a solution.
  • Oh and I am smiling because if I don't i will punch you in the face.



I will admit working retail can be very entertaining especially when customers fight over items.  But there are always chances such as  the cheating spouse gets caught, a shoplifter gets busted, or simply you are in your own department making your own adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment